Restaurant COVID-19 Risk Management
In collaboration with restaurant owners and management, RHP’s Health and Safety experts develop practical and manageable restaurant reopening plans to navigate the uncertainties and challenges presented during the current closures and openings due to COVID -19. Development of a safe and healthy return to work plan and infectious disease plan under regulatory guidance (Federal,State, Local and best practice) provides assurances to your staff, patrons, and vendors. Such a plan includes evaluating your restaurant’s engineering controls,HVAC system, administrative controls, cleaning protocols and personal protective equipment (PPE) needs.
As vaccines become increasingly available and executed disease transmission risk decreases, RHP’s could redirect the focus to your restaurant’s risk management strategy to take you to stronger platform in your day to day operations. Post-pandemic critical risk decisions and planning will build current and future mitigation strategies.
The Risks that evolved from the COVID-19 Pandemic
Closure orders by governing bodies with little specificity on length of time disrupt the ability to pay and retain staff. Fear emanating from patrons, vendors and staff cripple or severely hobble the food and drink service industry of restaurants. Delays in supply chain due to warehouse, food processing, and production limitations, slowdowns or manpower reduction, and transportation stoppage further add stress to a restaurant’s livelihood. Creative decision making and service offering pivoting gave the restaurants some breathing room by offering take out and delivery services. As municipalities and states lessened restrictions based on lessening infection numbers a transition to outdoor seating brought increased business volume but also presented a new set of challenges for restaurant owners. And with seasonal weather changes outdoor seating has become increasingly difficult particularly in northern regions. RHP experts have developed ventilation and cleaning validation methodologies to provide data recording efficacy and assurances. Our expert guidance with an emphasis on reducing the risk of transmission or outbreak works to reduce costly shutdown through critical risk decisions, including when and how to modify current mitigation strategies (post-pandemic).
How RHP Can Help Assess Your Restaurant’s Readiness to Reopen
RHP utilizes knowledge and professional training coupled with our experience interpreting and incorporating the regulations and guidance of Federal, State, and local agencies to provide customized best practice guidance for you, your staff and your establishment. Our audit of your restaurant’s return to work plan, building HVAC system, safety and health procedures, hygiene practices, and an evaluation of personal protection equipment (PPE) will protect your staff, business, vendors and your patrons.
We know the regulations and guidance surrounding the unprecedented pandemic of COVID-19 are confusing, appear to be contradictory, and often quickly change. We monitor and adapt our responses accordingly to provide our clients current, reliable, and understandable language that is implementable and manageable for staff at all levels. Training staff is the key to successful adherence and compliance. Knowledgeable staff in turn builds a confident staff that reassures patrons which builds back business volume and success.
Our Restaurant Reopening Assessment Services
Agencies such as the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), and the National Restaurant Association recommend reducing the risk of COVID-19 transmission by reducing indoor seating capacity to allow tables to be spaced at least 6 feet apart, improved ventilation, promoting employee behaviors that reduce spread, maintaining healthy environments and operations, preparing for sick employees, and having an updated emergency response and pandemic disease policy.
- Restaurant Ventilation & HVAC Assessments: RHP’s building HVAC assessments focus on reducing airborne risk, protecting all restaurant operations, enhancing ventilation to protect customers and employees. A restaurant HVAC assessment will help determine and quantitatively validate filtration efficacy and building air exchange rates for virus risk reduction, and determine site-specific building aerosol transmission risks using a safe airborne surrogate.
- Updated Emergency Response and Pandemic Disease Policy: RHP professionals work in collaboration with restaurant owners and management to create site-specific procedures consistent with best practice guidance and regulations, and provide onsite audit support, checklists and recommendations for use by restaurant management.
- Employee Training In-Person or Web-based Training Platform: RHP health and safety professionals provide employee training on best practice guidance, including policies to reduce the spread of COVID-19, general hygiene, protocols for when an employee is exhibiting symptoms and employee screening procedures, use of PPE, and cleaning and disinfection procedures.
- Workplace Audit, Risk Assessment and Evaluation: through an audit of your existing infectious disease plan, cleaning procedures and building ventilation system, RHP will develop a risk assessment of the workplace and employee protocols, a restaurant risk management strategy, and provide recommendations and mitigation strategies.
- Custom COVID-19 Reopening Schedule and Processes: RHP professionals will develop strategies to promote behaviors to reduce spread, maintain healthy operations, including management of processes on monitoring employee health & personal hygiene, social distancing, and best practices to protect employees.
- Return-to-Work Health & Safety Plan: taking HIPAA Privacy Rules into account, RHP will assist with development of an effective health & safety returning to work plan that will minimize your business’ potential liability and reduce risk of COVID-19 transmission.
- Cleaning / Disinfection Strategies, Safety Data Sheets (SDS): RHP’s guidance for cleaning and disinfecting focuses on reducing the risk of exposure to COVID-19 by reviewing disinfectant and cleaning product safety data sheets (SDS) and use of appropriate products, ensuring your business is using approved cleaning and disinfecting products, and safe and proper use of disinfection products and the storage of these products. Identification of high-touch areas and development and implementation of cleaning schedules.
- Cleaning Efficacy Assessments & Document: RHP’s expert surface testing validation and efficacy of cleaning and disinfection procedures for COVID-19 to ensure proper cleaning products and techniques are being used. RHP’s surface testing procedures help reduce liability by identifying potential health risks and ensuring safe work practices are being followed.
- Review of COVID Best Practices / Regulations: RHP professionals develop and implement best practice guidance and regulations to address key considerations for employee health, cleaning and sanitizing, and personal protective equipment (PPE).
- Observational Hygiene and Masking Assessments: RHP’s observational hand washing and masking assessments will ensure employees and customers are following protocols. The best practices program includes signage in highly visible locations that promote everyday protective measures wearing a mask and properly washing hands.
- Evaluation of Personal Protection Equipment (PPE): to better protect employees and patrons, considerations on what type of PPE and when PPE should be worn, in addition to training staff on proper use, removal, and washing of masks.
Consult with RHP to Reopen and Return to Work Safely
RHP partners with clients in the restaurant industry to prepare for and successfully advance to reopening by creating and updating emergency response and pandemic disease policies, health and safety procedures, and engineering controls. Restaurant owners can reduce the risk of COVID-19 transition by developing and implementing a pandemic disease policy that includes training and validating their employees and staff understand and can execute proper procedures and protocols.
RHP led return to operations guidance and restaurant risk management strategy enables you, your staff and your restaurant to reduce the risk of an outbreak, adverse publicity, workers compensation claims and a costly shutdown. By implementing RHP’s site-specific custom program, restaurant employees will have confidence that they’re working within a safe workspace, which improves productivity and maximizes profits. Through assessments of building engineering systems and controls, RHP’s consulting guides your restaurant to successful re-opening and continuity with the implementation of best practices complied across authoritative resources such as the CDC, FDA, USPH, and WHO. RHP’s expert technicians will give assurance and ROI evaluations of the engineering modifications to building HVAC assessments.
RHP Risk Management is a team of health scientists with Certified Industrial Hygienists and Certified Safety Professionals who partner with clients to develop custom, sensible, and manageable health and safety solutions. RHP’s health scientists continuously monitor the latest scientific advancements and policy changes concerning the SARS-CoV-2 virus to provide our clients with timely, trusted, evidence-based, and customized services through successive COVID-19 re-opening phases.
As trusted resources, RHP professionals continue to gather and analyze the information as it is updated and adapted concerning the SARS-CoV-2 virus to provide our clients with timely, trusted, and customized services through the successive COVID-19 re-opening phases.
At RHP Risk Management, we aid clients in managing, mitigating, and controlling environmental and occupational hazards and risks in the workplace through the recognition, anticipation, and control of hazards.
For more information and interim guidance, we invite you to explore our website: coronavirus (COVID-19) page that provides resources for workers, employers, business owners, building owners, and the general public.
Scientific risk-based guidance and solutions you and your company can trust.
RHP Risk Management is a leader in the field of Industrial Hygiene, Indoor Air Quality (IAQ), Built Environment, Risk Management, Dose Estimation & Analysis, and Exposure Simulation Testing. Our highly trained and sophisticated team of professionals work together seamlessly on small and large projects. Our roster includes certified industrial hygienists, public health scientists, risk assessors, certified safety professionals, field staff, an engineer, an anthropologist, an economist, certified paralegals, and support staff.
We work with our clients to develop solutions to their most pressing concerns. Understanding exposures and risks through a grounding in a sound, defensible, state- of- the- art scientific approach gives our clients peace of mind. Empowered by a comprehensive understanding of exposures we can provide, clients are better equipped to recognize previously unseen business risks, manage known risks, target areas for control systems, comply with regulations, and to be braced for regulatory or litigation actions. Senior staff have served as experts in front of stakeholders, public, workers, regulatory, and State and Federal courts.