Fulfill your internship needs with us. RHP is an environmental consulting firm with a focus on the fields of Exposure Science, Toxicology, Health Risk Management, Industrial Hygiene, Indoor Air Quality/Built Environment, and Public and Worker Health. Our highly trained and sophisticated team of scientists work together on projects to evaluate human health exposures (inhalation, dermal), estimate and measure doses from chemical, biological and physical hazards including noise and heat, and conduct simulated-use testing at our research laboratory. Our roster includes a combination of certified industrial hygienists, public health scientists, risk assessors, certified safety professionals, professional engineers, an anthropologist, an economist, and support staff. We are seeking a curious and inquisitive individual who is currently enrolled in a relevant graduate level program (e.g., MPH or PhD) for a summer internship at our headquarters location in Chicago, Illinois. RHP will work with the right candidate to ensure that your internship experience meets University educational program requirements (e.g. applied practice experience, capstone project, etc.). RHP currently has two (6- 8 weeks) paid internships available for Summer 2024.
RHP’s internship program is tailored to the individual with tracks to fit an agreed pathway and topics. Conceptually, the internship experience will focus on the following:
- Desktop research to identify and cull human health exposure concerns for chemical or biological hazards as identified in topical research and public raised concerns.
- Identify high priority chemicals and high-volume chemicals that are subject to persistent, bio-accumulative, and toxic (PBT) or very persistent and very bioaccumulative (vPvB) and develop the inventory of literature articles for each with prioritization based upon relevance to industry, toxicity and persistence profiles, litigation potential, and suitability for substitution.
- Selection of a single identified topic or concern based upon a hazard prioritization process and study feasibility assessment.
- Literature review to assess and rank previously conducted studies relevant to the selected topic and identify data gaps to be filled through further study.
- Creation of an exposure assessment study design and budgeting aimed at evaluating actual dose under different scenarios.
- Assist with initiation of or execution of study design and budgeting aimed at evaluating actual dose under different scenarios.
- Assist with initiation of or execution of study design in collaboration with senior staff.
- Preparation of written findings and implications with regard to hazard and risk is function of measured/predicted dose.
This internship position for individuals currently enrolled in post-graduate degree programs. The candidate must have the following experience/skills:
- Currently enrolled in a post-graduate degree program for a field of study relevant to human health risk assessment (e.g. industrial hygiene, toxicology, epidemiology, public health, environmental science, biostatistics, or similar).
- Excellent technical writing skills. An ability to consolidate complex technical information into concise points and effectively communicate findings.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills. Ability to communicate effectively with clients and work collaboratively in a team environment.
- Computer competency in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, and Excel).
The right intern may also have the following:
- Prior experience or coursework on performing exposure assessments or human health risk assessments.
- Familiarity with statistical analysis software tools (e.g. SAS, SPSS, R, JMP, CrystalBall) or mathematic modeling programs for estimating inhalation or dermal exposures.
- It is not anticipated that any work done during the internship will involve human subject research.
The internship is a 1099 Independent Contractor position (intern is responsible for all tax obligations). Anticipated hours will occur during typical office hours when senior staff is in the office. The internship is budgeted for between 24 and 40 hours per week for 6-8 weeks (total internship hours in the range of 168-320 hours, dependent on program requirements). The primary location of the internship will be at the RHP Risk Management headquarters in Chicago or our Exposure Sciences Laboratory in Elk Grove Village, Illinois.
The Contractor/Intern will receive a stipend of $3,864 to $7,360 for the total hours/weeks agreed to prior to the term of the Internship. The stipend will be paid in two equal installments over the period of the Internship. An additional housing allowance for interns located outside the Chicago area may be considered.
The Contractor/Intern is not eligible and will not receive benefits including, but not limited to, health insurance, vacation or sick pay, paid holidays, or participation in the Company’s 401(k) plan.
To apply, sent resume to: email@example.com