RHP Risk Management is looking for participants 18 older to take part in a study that evaluates how well facemasks fit people’s faces. Testing will take place at our laboratory. Participants will be selected based upon measurements of facial dimensions. After the screening process, participants will be chosen and scheduled for one (1) testing session. Compensation will be provided to those who qualify for the approximately 45 to 90-minute-long testing session. Please note, to ensure a tight seal, participants must be clean shaven.
Participants will be compensated in the amount of $75 (Amazon gift card) at the end of the session. Participants may be invited back for future testing opportunities.
If you are interested, please submit your information and a photo to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the email, please provide the following information:
- Phone number
- Photo of face following directions below
Include a front view photo of your face with a ruler or tape measure in the photo just at the side of your face:
- Have someone else take the photo.
- Look straight forward.
- Head should not be tilted to the side or up or down. Hold tape measure or ruler straight and just to the side of your face without touching. The ruler or tape measure must be in the same plane as your face, not closer to the camera than your face.
- Do not smile.
RHP will use the submitted photo to estimate the size/shape of your face. If the size/shape of your face meet the study selection criteria, you will be invited to participate in the study. If invited, study activities will involve:
- A one-hour session at RHP’s laboratory in Elk Grove Village, IL nearby the Arlington Heights exit of I-90. (670 Oakton St., Elk Grove Village, IL 60007)
- We will measure the actual width and length of your face.
- You will be asked to wear a face mask (provided) and perform 7 short tasks while wearing the mask:
- Normal and deep breathing (3 min)
- Nod head up & down, turn head side-to-side (2 min)
- Speaking (1 min)
- Bending over at the waist, then returning to standing (1 min)
- These tasks will be done in a special testing room which has a small amount of salt water in the air.
These 4 tasks will be done in a special testing room which has a small amount of food-grade challenge agent in the air.
This is a paid research opportunity and the information collected will be used to determine whether a particular brand mask has “good fitting characteristics” for people across a range of different face sizes and shapes.
Your personal identifiable information will remain confidential and protected at all times; will not be disclosed to the mask manufacturer (RHP’s client).
Upon arrival at our lab, this information will be explained to you verbally and you will be asked to sign an “informed consent” form acknowledging your understanding.